Red Anthurium is a very beautiful indoor flower, which, perhaps more often than other varieties, is used at home for interior decoration. The magical properties and extraordinary decorativeness of red color made this beautifully flowering houseplant very popular. Quite often, red anthuriums are called flowers of family happiness, so it is customary to give a decorative culture for celebrations and family holidays.
The legend of the plant
The value of this houseplant in interior design is difficult to underestimate. Due to the presence of highly decorative, dark green and dense foliage, as well as bright scarlet bedspreads, the unusually beautiful and very elegant red anthurium looks great, therefore it looks harmonious in rooms of any kind.
The legend of the red anthurium, tells the story of a young beauty who has turned into a beautiful flower. In ancient times, one of the tribes was ruled by a very bloodthirsty and cruel leader. He liked a young girl from another tribe, but she refused the leader. And then the cruel ruler took the beauty from his parents by force. According to traditions, the wedding feast was to be accompanied by the cultivation of large holiday bonfires. But the young slave did not put up with her fate and in front of the leader threw herself into the fire.
The gods spared the unfortunate and turned her into an incredibly beautiful flower - anthurium. The hard-hearted leader was punished and, according to the will of the gods, together with the village turned into dense tropical thickets. And nowadays, droplets of moisture flow down the leaves and grass, which symbolize the tears of unhappy parents who have lost their only daughter. And the bright red flower Anthurium has since become not only a reminder of the sad legend, but also means unlimited love.
Today, red anthuriums are very widely used not only as a highly decorative indoor plant, but also have become popular as a spectacular addition to wedding flower arrangements. The red flower, amazing in its beauty, is capable of surprisingly combining with a snow-white wedding dress, and according to signs, it brings happiness and prosperity to the nascent family.
Growing anthurium at home
The Red Anthurium group is distinguished by the predominance of red color in staining. This quite large group also includes Edison anthurium, which can be represented by plants with red inflorescences and varieties with pink flowers. The following, the most popular varieties can be classified as a decorative indoor plant red anthurium:
The color of the bedspreads in these varieties can vary from a deep dark red color to light red tones with a light orange tint. Very popular view of Andre variety Royal Champion. The variety is not less demanded "Saxo" characterized by small and frequent leaves. Honors varieties "Robino" are larger leaves of dark swamp staining. Varieties "Avento" and "Vitara" characterized by scarlet bedspreads that stand out well against the background of very bright green foliage.
In addition to the scarlet and classic red-flowering varieties, quite exotic varieties of red anthurium are grown in indoor floriculture "Dark Red Anthurium". Bracts of such indoor anthuriums are characterized by coloring in any shades of raspberry, wine or burgundy, as well as brown and almost black.
A popular variety with brown flowers is Anthurium. "Otazu Brown", having a dense burgundy heart-shaped coverlet and a straight light green cob. "Utah" has a glossy textured cover, as well as purple or densely purple bracts. Luxurious black-flowered variety "Black queen" has a bright coloration of inflorescences and glossy bract with prominent veins.
How to transplant anthurium
How to grow red anthurium
Beautifully blooming, indoor anthuriums - a dream quite feasible, but you need to properly care for decorative culture:
- Anthuriums are tropical plants that love warmth and adequate lighting, therefore, the optimal location for the red Anthurium is a place on the eastern and western windows;
- when grown on southern windows, indoor exotics should provide quality shading from direct sunlight;
- a houseplant should be located in a well-lit place or in partial shade, but with insufficient light the decorative culture ceases to bloom;
- the temperature regime in the room when growing red anthurium in the winter should be maintained at 15aboutFROM;
- in summer, the temperature regime optimal for the growth and development of red anthurium should not fall below 18-20aboutFROM;
- decorative indoor exotic flower does not tolerate drafts and sharp temperature changes, but needs a high level of humidity;
- in a dry and hot period, the plant must be provided with frequent sprayings, with priority at least once a day;
- watering is carried out as necessary, but it is very important to ensure that the soil in the flower pot does not dry out, but is not too wet;
- water for irrigation is better to use room temperature, well-maintained;
- fertilizer application begins in early spring and ends in late autumn, with a priority of twice a week;
- top dressing decorative flowering culture is made with organic and mineral fertilizers.
When growing red anthurium, it is very important to provide the plant with a high-quality drainage layer, over which a nutritious peat-based soil substrate is poured. Adult plants need to be transplanted as they become crowded in a flower pot, and young anthuriums are transplanted once a year.
Reproduction of red Anthurium can be done by seeds, division, cuttings and shoots. Seed propagation is a rather complicated procedure, and the first flowering will occur no sooner than after three to four years. The easiest way to reproduce is spring division. It is necessary to carefully separate several stems with roots and plant them in a separate flower pot. The cut point is processed with crushed coal. When propagated by cuttings, the top of the stem is cut off and rooted in water or in the ground.
Diseases of an ornamental plant make it unattractive, and often become the main cause of death. Indoor anthuriums are quite resistant to pathogenic microflora, but in violation of the rules of care, the plant may be affected by the following diseases:
- damage by stem and root rot as a result of excessive watering or lowering the temperature regime in the room;
- blackening of the tips of the leaves is the result of excess calcium in the soil of the flower pot;
- twisting of the leaves of anthurium occurs under the influence of dry air and insufficient lighting, as well as when growing indoors with drafts.
Weakened by improper care and external negative factors, a decorative tropical plant can also be attacked by such insect pests as mealybug, aphid, spider mites and root nematode. You can fight plant parasites with folk remedies and through modern insecticidal drugs.
Difficulties in growing anthurium
Affected by diseases and pests, indoor flowers are necessarily isolated from healthy ornamental plants. First of all, the aerial part of the diseased plant needs to be washed carefully, but very thoroughly washed under a warm shower using laundry soap. If the lesion is massive, then it is advisable to double-treat with chemicals.